Random Eats: January - March 2016

Item: Red Velvet Cake Parfait - $7.90
Location: Hvala Waffle Bar (313@Somerset, Singapore)
With a friend, I shared a parfait with red velvet cake crumbs, two toppings and caramel sauce for. It can get too sweet for some people as vanilla soft-serve is used instead of froyo, but for me the sweetness was just fine. The soft-serve was smooth and creamy. The red velvet cake crumbs were moist but they tasted nowhere like red velvet cake. The marshmallow and chocolate chip toppings were excellent, no complain.

Item: Waffle with Triple Scoop Gelato
Location: Casa Italia (313@Somerset, Singapore)
I ordered one round of waffle with three scoops of gelato: Ferrero Rocher, Bailey's Irish cream, and hazelnut. The waffle was drizzled with chocolate sauce and sprinkled with chopped nuts. The texture was rather soggy, what a letdown. The gelato, on the bright side, was creamy and thick. If I had to choose my favorite flavor, it would be Ferrero Rocher. The chocolate taste was heavy but not cloyingly sweet. It also contained some Ferrero Rocher chunks inside. The liquor content in the Bailey's flavor was mild and needed more kick. The hazelnut flavor, meanwhile, was just passable.

Item: Milk Popcorn Soft Serve - $6.80
Location: Sweet Monster (Bugis Junction, Singapore)
It tasted very sweet and milky but not jelat. My friend even said she would get this every day during her stay in SG lol. For $6.80 I would rather get Llaollao's Sanum, but at least my curiosity had been answered.

Item: Skillet Baked Eggs - $17
Location: The Laneway Market (Tanjong Katong Road, Singapore)
Ordered this from their breakfast selections. It tasted like eggs in Bolognaise sauce. Pretty yummy but not very filling haha.

Item: Quarter Roasted Chicken - $12.50
Location: The Rotisserie (Suntec City Mall, Singapore)
The meal comes with a choice of side: hot chips, vegetables or salad. The size of the chicken is no joke, in fact I had never expected that a quarter chicken would be this big! The meat was rather cold but still tender. It was a bit tasteless for my liking too. Nevertheless, I really like the brown gravy, which tasted very savory. The chips was great and crisply fried too.

Item: Dumpling Noodle - $3.50
Location: Food Haven (James Cook University, Singapore)
I always get this dish for lunch whenever I feel like eating something warm. The soup sometimes tastes a bit bland, but the dumplings are tasty and generously filled.


Item: Salted Egg Pork Ribs Rice - $5
Location: Zi Char (Sims Drive, Singapore)
My schoolmates and I love to eat this salted egg pork near our campus. It is delicious, filling & cheap! The pork rib was well-fried with good seasoning. Each piece was drenched with buttery egg yolk sauce and went perfectly with the warm white rice. I have not tried all salted egg pork ribs in Singapore, but I strongly recommend you to visit this place. I dunno the name of the zi char, but it is located near Sims Vista Food Centre (it is at block 45 Sims Drive to be precise).

Item: Roasted Chicken Rice - $3.50
Location: Chicken Rice Stall (Sims Vista Food Centre, Singapore)
I often eat at Sims Vista food court during lunch time. This roasted chicken was not bad. The rice had delicious chicken rice fragrance, but I think they gave too much rice. The chicken meat was rather juicy albeit too little. The skin of the chicken was nicely roasted too but I definitely needed more of this.

Item: Cuball - IDR20,000
Location: Cuball (bazaar in Surabaya)
Coincidentally, I met 2 of my high school friends who were setting up a tenant there named Hong Kong Retro (HKR). I showed them some support by trying their Cuball, which is HK-style fishball curry. One serving consists of 4 fried fishballs on a skewer and 3 boiled fishballs. Actually I was not really fond of the fishball due to its chewiness haha but the curry sauce tasted nice anyway.

Item: Black Tanzo - IDR25,000
Location: Jumong (bazaar in Surabaya)
This is a kind of taiyaki parfait, similar to Tai-Parfait in Singapore. There was only black taiyaki available and for me the taste was no different to original version. The taiyaki has chocolate filling inside and it is topped with 4 scoops of ice cream and some toppings like wafer and Pocky stick. We were allowed to choose up to 4 ice cream flavors, which we chose taro, strawberry, cookies & cream and black sesame. The taro ice cream tasted weird like grape mixed with soap lol. Meanwhile, the black sesame tasted exactly like sesame oil - eww, sort of gross for me.

Item: Regular Squid - IDR35,000
Location: Happy Squid (bazaar in Surabaya)
This fried squid reminds me of Old Chang Kee's fried sotong. The crispy and yummy squid explained the long queue in front of the stall. At IDR35,000, I think it is quite pricey though.

Item: Almond Cheese Pretzel - IDR15,000
Location: Spretzels (bazaar in Surabaya)
This pretzel was decent, although Auntie Anne's fared better. But guess that is enough since we do not have Auntie Anne's here in Surabaya.

Item: Blueberry Drink - IDR15,000
Location: Wash Wash (bazaar in Surabaya)
This is it, the cutest dish-washing soap ever. Haha kidding, it is just blueberry drink packed in a bottle resembling Sunlight dish-washing soap bottle. Do not expect much from the drink, okay?

Item: Black Vanilla Toilet Monsta - IDR35,000
Location: Toilet Monsta (bazaar in Surabaya)
The presentation looks so cute, however the elements are ordinary. It is just black-colored shaved ice with condensed milk with 3 different topping (nata de coco, fruity pebbles and caramel popcorn). To be honest, this kind of packaging (huge box) is kinda troublesome to carry around while walking.

Item: Green Tea Tarik - IDR8,000
Location: Teh Tarix (bazaar in Surabaya)
The packaging looks so unique yeah? I never thought the tea would be served in a packaging with zipper that is normally used for snack haha. Unique concept indeed, but I personally feel that this kind of packaging is also troublesome to carry around. Nevertheless, the green tea tarik tasted alright - it reminds me of Cincau Station's gurin.

Item: Triple Blend Maki - IDR15,000
Location: Hayaku (bazaar in Surabaya)
The waiting time to get my sushi ready was quite long, since there was only one staff and a lady in front of me ordered 3 packs of sushi. For IDR15,000, there are around 10 slices of sushi roll - isn't that generous?

Item: Babi Sambal Matah - IDR20,000
Location: Tiga Babi Kecil (bazaar in Surabaya)
This bowl is full of porky goodness! It was spicy yet delicious, although I wish there could be more pork inside haha.

Item: Indomie Chitato - IDR15,000
Origin: Indonesia
Introducing the most 'kekinian' (lit. happening; trending) thing among Indonesian youngsters, Indomie goreng-flavore Chitato! Chitato is a brand of potato chips by the way. Sadly, the taste does not live up to its hype. It tasted like normal BBQ-flavored Chitato with a little bit hint of Indomie seasoning.

Comments

Popular Posts