Jtown Cafe, Singapore

One day my friend brought me to a place where he said he had a very good mee soto there. When I heard mee soto, I thought the place sold Malay food. Then he added that the place was called Jtown. What popped straight away inside my head was that 'J' should be related to Japan. But wait, Japanese restaurant serving mee soto? Sounds legit. And I was completely wrong when I knew that Jtown was an Indonesian restaurant, and 'J' actually referred to Jakarta!

Bakmie Ayam - $5
Jtown sells Jakarta street food like mie ayam (chicken noodle), mie bakso (beef meatball noodle), gado-gado, and martabak manis (sweet Indonesian pancake). The menu is not really extensive, but they are all reasonably priced. I opted for a bowl of chicken noodle. According to the owner, the noodle was handmade and freshly made everyday. Unfortunately, the seasoning did not really suit my tastebuds and it somehow lacked of authenticity. But I like that they put abundant fried shallot on top hehe.

Mee Goreng - $5.30
My friend ordered mee goreng, and at first I thought they would use Indomie but no haha. Besides chicken, they also put in some mushrooms and half boiled egg. This tasted so so to me.

Martabak Campur - $6.20 (large size)
We Indonesians call this 'martabak manis' or 'terang bulan'. The martabak campur was filled with chocolate sprinkles and cheese. Other toppings available here are Ovomaltine and D24 durian (eww haha). The large size here actually equals to small size in Indonesia lol.

Overall, I would recommend Jtown Cafe to fellow Indonesians in Singapore who want to find decent Indonesian street food, especially martabak manis. The martabak might not be as authentic as the one back in Indonesia but it was enough to cure my martabak manis crave. It is a place to go in Orchard area if you are tight in budget.

-

220 Orchard Road, #B1-04/05
Midpoint Orchard
Singapore 238852
+65-92305040
IG: jtowncafe
Opening hours: 12pm - 9pm

Comments

  1. Hi! Making pancakes is not that tough but it takes little practice and I think if you try a few more times then you will get the exact batter consistency and pan temperature idea that is crucial for making perfect pancakes. Better if you Commit yourself to 20 minutes at the skillet and really pay attention while you cook the pancakes as they cook. If they are browning too quickly then turn the heat down a bit and cool the pan for a minute before the next batch. If they sticking a little then apply more butter or oil. Be sure to flip your pancakes after the raw side has a few decent-sized bubbles and the edges are just beginning to dry. But to make a yummy, fluffy, and creamy texture pancake at home like Martabak Manis Singapore is not possible at home. Keep sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts