BlackBarn Coffee, Surabaya

Getting bored with the usual atmosphere in coffee shop? If so, you should try this cafe called BlackBarn, located on Jl. Untung Suropati, between TooTooMoo and ORE. The place is not big, but you can choose to sit in indoor or outdoor area. Actually, I have once come here before, but in my previous visit I came at night and I did not manage to take pics. This time, I could take many pics since I came in the afternoon.



There is a coin-operated virtual dart machine that you can play with too




The atmosphere inside is really unique, different from common coffee shops whose interiors are usually bright and monochrome. Here, it is dimly-lit and full of tribal-style decorations like dreamcatcher and antler wall mount.

Sarsaparilla - IDR25,000
Isn't it uncommon to see a drink like this in a coffee shop? The sarsaparilla is put inside beer bottle - you can drink it directly from the bottle or pour the drink into a glass of ice cube. For those who may not know, sarsaparilla is a kind of soft drink made from a mixture of sarsaparilla plant stem and soda. Some people call this Javanese coke haha. It tasted cool and kinda sweet, like drinking coke with sweet and sour flavors.

Iced Lychee Tea - IDR27,000
This one tasted refreshing. The lychee flavor was noticeable and there were 2 fresh lychee fruits inside.

Caffe Mocca - IDR31,000
Since it is a coffee shop, coffee is a must-order for me! I ordered their hot mocha. Not the best one I had, but it was decent with faint chocolate flavor.

BlackBarn Friedrice - IDR38,000
Wanting to eat rice, my cousin ordered fried rice which was served with fried overeasy egg, beef kebab satay and crackers. It tasted really salty! My cousin told the staff about it and the staff offered her to replace with the new one. The new one tasted better. The soy sauce tasted dominant and there was generous chicken meat inside the fried rice. No comment for the satay, it tasted weird and salty.

Shakshuka - IDR38,000
I thought the shakshuka would be served on hotplate, but it was served on a normal plate. The egg was baked with tomato sauce and mushroom then served with grated cheese and garlic bread. It tasted yummy although not very filling. It reminded me of lasagna except that this one tasted eggy.

Spaghetti Meatball - IDR39,000
I initially underestimated the small portion, but it turned out pretty filling. The tomato sauce was a bit too sweet to me. The pasta was al dente. There were 3 pieces of beef meatball, all of which suffered from the same condition: too salty.

Overall, I enjoyed my time at BlackBarn listening to slow country music in the background (I felt like I was in Texas lol). The prices here are practically reasonable given the central location (good news, there are no tax and service charge here). The atmosphere is cool and they play slow country music in the background. Oh ya, this also a good place to bring your friends too, because they offer beer by bottle and tower at night. God bless this barn!

-

Jl. Untung Suropati 79
Surabaya, Indonesia 60264
+6231-5671066
Opening hours: 11am - 10.30pm (Mon - Thu) // 11am - 11.30pm (Fri - Sun)

Comments

Popular Posts