Depot Hok Lay, Malang

Recently my fam and I went for a short trip to Malang, whereby we had our dinner at this restaurant called Depot Hok Lay. This place is legendary and you should not miss it when you are in Malang. Depot Hok Lay itself has been around since 1946, and the building still retains the original colonial style up until now. To be honest I would not have known this place if not from social medias. A lot of people raved about its Fosco drink, saying that you cannot leave Malang without trying Fosco. Goodness, where have I been all this time?! I have been to Malang countless times yet I never had a single visit to Hok Lay! Oh, apparently almost all patrons that time were from Surabaya, judging from the numbers of L-plate cars in front of the depot.



Fosco - IDR13,000
Here it is, the most sought-after drink in Hok Lay. Fosco is Dutch-style iced chocolate drink, uniquely served in a coke bottle. What differentiates Fosco with normal iced chocolate is that there is a hint of saltiness in it. No idea where the saltiness comes from, perhaps they put in some salt? Beware, this drink is super addictive. You might unconsciously order another serving as you just cannot get enough of its goodness.

Lunpia Semarang - IDR20,000
It is mandatory to order this Semarang-style lunpia (also known as lumpia or spring roll, whatever) at Hok Lay. The skin was thin and not too crispy, served warm in a pool of tauco sauce. The lunpia contained carrots and bamboo shoots inside. Eat it together with the celery sticks, if you do not mind having bad breath afterward lol.



Pangsit Cwiemie - IDR20,000
A bowl of pangsit cwiemie consists of noodle, chicken meat, lettuce and two fried dumplings. It only costs IDR20,000, cheap right? The seasoning was a bit bland for my Surabaya tongue though, but overall, it is a dish I would be returning for.

Lomie - IDR22,000
Lomie is a kind of egg noodle cooked in sweet, rather thick broth. Mom loved it so much. I did not really enjoy the sweet broth though, so I only had a spoonful of it. The portion is big by the way, you can share it among 2-3 people.

Es Puding Manalagi - IDR14,000
To round-off the meal, I had a bowl of shaved ice with cute turtle-shaped pudding. Simple but yum!

Oh my Lord I'm craving for Fosco right now as I'm typing this post! Too bad my Fosco is far out of reach :(. Wonder if there is a place selling original Fosco powder or if somebody has the recipe though.

-

Jl. KH Ahmad Dahlan 10
Malang, Indonesia 65118
+62341-364513
IG: depot.hoklay.mlg
Opening hours: 9am - 1.30pm; 5pm - 8.30pm

Comments

Popular Posts