Product Review: McDonald's Matcha McFlurry & Apple Pie

It is no longer a secret that Indonesians always keep up with the latest trend. Every time there is a new trend in the culinary scene, we always want to be the first to try. All for social media sake. Or peer pressure, bluntly speaking. There is a satisfaction in being one of the first few people to Instagram a newly-launched food or doing an OOTD pose in a hipster cafe, not forgetting the #kekinian hashtag.

Recently, McDonald's has launched two products that instantly became the talk of the town: Japanese Matcha and Apple Pie (these products were released separately, whereby Apple Pie was released first followed by Japanese Matcha). I must admit, I was carried away with this trend so I rushed to the nearest McDonald's in Jimbaran as soon as I got my day-off haha.

PaNas 1
I know right, I look voracious for ordering so many food lol. Here, I ordered the set meal along with 2 kinds of dessert. As always, I found Mac chicken addictive. Don't get me wrong, KFC chicken is also fingerlickin' good, but there is something from Mac chicken that keeps me coming back for it. Maybe I just like its greasiness haha.

For the matcha series, Mac launched 3 kinds of ice cream: Matcha Top, Matcha Ogura and Matcha Oreo McFlurry. I opted for Matcha Oreo McFlurry coz boy who could resist Oreo and matcha at once?

Do stir the matcha sauce first before enjoying your McFlurry. The matcha flavor was aromatic albeit rather weak, while the sweet vanilla flavor from the ice cream was still slightly overwhelming. Not bad, considering how generous they were with the Oreo crumbs.

Looks droolsome enough to you?

Just a comparison, I had this Matcha McFlurry in Singapore back in 2013 and the Oreo was less generous here.

The legend is making a comeback. I call this a comeback since there is a saying that Indonesian Mac used to have this apple pie back then in the 90's. In Singapore, apple pie itself is a permanent menu but I have never tried it before.

The pie was neither big nor small in size. The pastry skin was flaky and crispy, which went well with the sweet and sour apple filing. The filling contained some diced apples and there was a hint of cinnamon inside.

All of these being said, I would love to see Mac's Apple Pie and matcha McFlurry remain in the menu board permanently. So people, hurry go grab these items only in your nearest Mac before they are gone!

Comments

Popular Posts