Djournal Coffee Bar, Surabaya

As an avid coffee enthusiast, I am glad to know that Djournal Coffee Bar has expanded its wings to Surabaya and opened its first branch at TP4. Owned by the Ismaya Group, I see no reason to not visit Djournal. The cafe even caters to smokers by having its own smoking room. Note that you need to make your order and pay at the cashier, then wait for your drink at the pick-up counter.


16oz Double Chocolate Mocha - IDR47,000
I got tempted to try Djournal's blended drink, of which I chose the Double Chocolate Mocha. Initially, the drink was handed to me without whipped cream, but then the barista admitted that he forgot to ask me whether I wanted whipped cream. The drink possessed rich chocolatey taste mixed with robust coffee flavor, perfect to cool down on a hot day. Sadly, the whipped cream was a letdown since it was too dry and astonishingly tasted like cake frosting. Other than that this drink was perfect.

Gilroy Garlic Fries - IDR35,000
It was just plain fries with crushed garlic on top and sprinkles of (seaweed?) seasoning. The fries was nothing special and rather greasy. I was expecting a bowl of crispy fries but what I got was fries bathed in oil. The seasoning saved the day, at least.

S'mores Naked Cake - IDR39,000
As a s'mores addict, I could not help but order this cake from the display. Major love for the marshmallow layer in between the chocolate cake. The chocolate ganache on top was rather dry though. A sweet indulgence that makes a nice pairing with hot coffee.

The prices here are actually reasonable for an Ismaya-established cafe. The food still has room for improvement, but the drink certainly packs a punch. No fancy decoration or Insta-worthy spot here, but you will fall for their coffee, just like what I have done.

-

Tunjungan Plaza 4, 1st Floor
Jl. Jenderal Basuki Rahmat 8-12
Surabaya, Indonesia 60261
Opening hours: 10am - 10pm

Comments

Popular Posts