[Closed] The Hulo Hotel & Gallery, Kuala Lumpur

Hello readers! This is my second review about accommodation, and I will be writing about a budget hotel in Kuala Lumpur named The Hulo Hotel & Gallery. It was my first time staying in a budget hotel in KL, as my family had always been choosing chain hotels like Novotel and Marriott. Now that I had to travel to KL on my own expense, I had no choice but to choose the most economical accommodation to cut down my budget haha. When I was browsing Traveloka, I found a pretty good deal from The Hulo Hotel & Gallery. I managed to secure the price of IDR183,000 per night for a Standard Twin Room. Damn cheap right?! Even budget hotels in Indonesia cost more expensive than that.

Location
The internet boosts this hotel for being located in Bukit Bintang area, but you better not believe everything you see on the internet. It is nowhere near to famous places in Bukit Bintang like Pavilion or Jalan Alor. You may try walking, but your body must be in good stamina haha. It is located 400 metres away from Berjaya Times Square, with Imbi monorail station located in front of it. From Bukit Bintang station, I usually took monorail and alight at Imbi, then continued walking to hotel. However, the location of this hotel is convenience if you take Grab from airport, since it is situated just at the end of the toll exit, so you don't have to get stuck in Bukit Bintang siao traffic jam.

First Impression
Entering the lobby of The Hulo Hotel & Gallery, I was greeted in awe of the artsy interior. There were chandeliers, sculptures and paintings displayed across the lobby area. I wonder if I were in a hotel or art gallery haha. The hallway that led me to my room was also decorated with artworks. Those artworks are apparently available for sale. It turns out The Hulo Hotel & Gallery is the first of its kind in Malaysia, which combines the concepts of reasonable accommodation and exceptional artwork displays.

The Room
What sets The Hulo Hotel & Gallery apart is that each room showcases different artworks of different artists. The Standard Twin Room that I booked was pretty spacious for a budget hotel. It had a view to the newly-built tower, which was superb! The twin bed was futon-style, placed on the floor but quite comfortable. There is a TV but it shows only local channels (I did not use it). Kettles, coffee, tea, towels and toiletries are provided too. The shelves were a bit dusty though.







Room view, day and night

The bathroom was clean and the hot water worked properly. It is interesting that they make full of the space here by 'hiding' the bathroom behind a big mirror. This mirror functions as a door that when you slide it, there goes your bathroom! I'm telling you this beforehand coz you don't want to embarrass yourself by asking to the reception where the bathroom is right?

Facilities
Free wi-fi is accessible throughout the hotel. The reception is open 24 hours. Oh, I forgot to mention that the hotel requires RM50 deposit, and this amount is refundable upon check-out. This regulation was not stated on my booking receipt though. There is luggage storage too, in case you still have spare time to explore the city before catching your flight. One thing I would also like to highlight, housekeeping is not done on a daily basis. Not sure if this service can be made available upon request coz I did not make any.

Service
The staff that did the check-in process was friendly but the one that assisted my check-out process was the contrary. Other than that I had no comment about the service coz I had very little interaction with the staffs, nothing was memorable.

Verdict
Overall, I had an okay experience at The Hulo Hotel & Gallery. Basically it is the hotel you would want to stay at if you are looking for affordability (another plus point if you are an art geek). Service and facilities are acceptable for the price paid. I especially love the idea of displaying artworks in every room, it makes me feel like I'm staying in my own bedroom rather than hotel room. If you understand the concept of budget hotel, this hotel is on my recommendation list and worth a try. The vicinity is also quite lively at night with 24-hour eateries and convenience shops around.

-

169 Jalan Changkat Thambi Dollah, Pudu
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia 55100
+60-392263999

Comments

Popular Posts