Japonika Sushi & Gozen, Surabaya

Japanese cuisine is one of my favorite cuisines that I crave once in a while. Recently I made a visit to Japonika Sushi & Gozen, a Japanese eatery in Darmo Permai area (westies, rejoice!). Since I'm not good at describing location (furthermore, Darmo Permai is not an area I'm familiar with), let me tell you that Japonika is located within just a short-walk from the popular Kedai Sabindo. 





If you walk towards the back side of the restaurant, you will spot these two swings. It instantly reminded me of cafes in Penang with their old-town vibes. A Japanese restaurant with rattan swings looks legit, doesn't it?

Love how they wrap the utensils in plastic! A waste of plastic indeed, but you can rest assured of the hygiene.


Iced Ocha
What's better than a glass of cold ocha with warm earthy flavor? Not sure if this is refillable as we did not ask for a refill.


Tamago Hosomaki - IDR15,000
For merely IDR15,000, you will get a place consisting of 8 tamago maki rolls. The sushi rice was of good quality with delicate sweet sour flavor from the vinegar. Don't forget to dip it in wasabi-shoyu sauce!

Chicken Katsu Gozen - IDR42,000
The highlight of Japonika is the gozen or set meal, which comes with appetizer, miso soup, rice, protein and dessert. It was a truly filling meal. The agedashi tofu featured battered soft silken beancurd bathed in dashi sauce. Each bite burst with eggy goodness, completed with salty touch from the dashi. Miso soup was light and warming. Salad was okay. Chicken katsu was crispy but lacking of meat. Lastly, the chocolate pudding was not too sweet, making it a perfect ending to the meal.


Chicken Teriyaki Gozen - IDR42,000
This is exactly similar to chicken katsu meal. The chicken was tender but the teriyaki sauce felt too starchy for my liking. 

It is not a breeze to find a good and Insta-worthy Japanese restaurant in Surabaya, but now you may add Japonika to your list. I highly recommend you to try their gozen, which will leave you feeling full after your meal. I love that all dishes are affordably priced too - if I stay in the west, I may patronize this place on a monthly basis haha.

-

Jl. Simpang Darmo Permai Utara 1/19
Surabaya, Indonesia 60187
+628113595111
IG: japonika.id
Opening hours: 10am - 10pm

Comments

Popular Posts