Calibre Coffee Roasters, Surabaya

Today I drove my mom to a coffee shop near my house called Calibre Coffee Roasters (actually it is not so near la, given the fact that I still needed to drive haha). Frankly speaking, this was one of those rare occasions that I went to a cafe with my mom. Normally, I would go with my close friends or cousins since we were already clicked - thus, we could spend a few hours together without feeling awkward.

This cafe is strategically located in the heart of Surabaya and majority of its patrons are youngsters. There are indoor and outdoor areas - outdoor area is suitable for smokers. Calibre occupies the space of a colonial-style house, whereby the front part has been converted into a hipster-looking cafe.


These hanging lightbulbs add more hipster feeling to the cafe

When I saw some seats upon the windowsill that had a view to the main road, I immediately 'chope' them before proceeding to the counter for ordering process. Taking a glance at their menu board, there are not many options of heavy meal, but the usual cafe fares like sandwiches, salad, French toast, pasta, and cakes on display are available.

Shaken Iced Tea - IDR22,000
Not just ordinary iced tea, it was shaken iced tea (hence the frothy surface). My mom did not expect it to taste so plain - she thought that some sugar had been added beforehand.


Caffe Latte - IDR32,000
A trip to a hipster coffee shop is not complete without getting a dose of caffeine. The latte art looks kinda vague. I took my first sip and it was pleasant. It carried a good ratio between acidity and milkiness. However, my mom complained that it was too acidic for her liking, as she had been accustomed to drinking instant milk coffee lol. Therefore, when a cup of freshly-roasted coffee was given to her, she got surprised of its acidity. I'm no coffee connoisseur, but I think it is safe to say that my latte was enjoyable.

Spicy Beef Bacon Penne in Tomato Cream Sauce - IDR56,000
I shared this pasta with mom since we were both too full to get each of us a main course. I was underestimating their food - I initially thought that cafe food would be mediocre. But when they said it was spicy, they really meant it. The spiciness was no joke for a non-spicy eater like me, but mom said it tasted fine.


Choco Oreo Mille Crepes - IDR35,000
I'm not sure whether the cakes here are made in-house or supplied by outside patisseries, but this mille crepes had super soft texture, chocolatey taste and sweet Oreo finish. Definitely no regret paying IDR35,000 for this!




Overall, I enjoyed my time at Calibre. Sitting next to the big window glass is really helpful to add natural lighting to my photos. Furthermore, it is an enjoyment for me to see what is happening on the road outside and do people-watching. The atmosphere is homey and laid-back with some blues and jazz tunes playing in the background. The service was okay, although I felt that the counter staffs could deliver more eye contact to customers. Cafe hoppers, do give this place a try!

-

Jl. Walikota Mustajab 67-69
Surabaya, Indonesia 60272
+6231-5454801
IG: calibrecoffeeroasters
Opening hours: 10am - 10pm (Mon - Thu & Sun) // 10am - 11.30pm (Fri - Sat)

Comments

Popular Posts