[Closed] Kedai Tua Baru, Surabaya

Kedai Tua Baru looks like a modern kopitiam to me. Serving reinvented Malaysian/Indonesian/Peranakan cuisine, this place is strategically located on Jl. Tegalsari, which is still in the city centre. It has both indoor and outdoor seating areas with dimly-lit setting. Valet parking is available for IDR5,000 (cmiiw).

Ice Lemon Tea - IDR15,800
It tasted okay, just like iced lemon tea in other places.

Roti Canai - IDR15,800
Just like how roti canai is normally served, the one here is also served with curry on the side. The curry is somewhat thick, unlike in other places whose curry tends to be soupy. The curry flavor was quite strong, nice to pair with the moist roti canai.

Sambal Lidah Tua Baru - IDR30,800
Fyi, Kedai Tua Baru's specialty is penyetan/sambal. They have various choice from the classic tahu tempe to beef. Tbh I don't eat ox tongue, so I cannot comment on this haha.

Nasi Lemak Curry Chicken - IDR32,800
The rice was not 'lemak' enough. The chicken meat was tiny although the curry sauce was generous, I must say. Besides chicken, the dish came with hard boiled egg cut in half and pathetic serving of sambal and ikan bilis. The sambal was spicy though, spicier than normal nasi lemak sambal.

Es Campur - IDR24,800
This mixed ice consists of grass jelly, atap seeds, chendol, coconut, jelly, bread and shaved ice. It tasted mediocre - I even thought it was overly sweet.

Overall, I find the food here not worth the price given the mediocre taste. I can find all these dishes somewhere else at much cheaper prices. Just a gentle reminder, do not come here during lunch or dinner time as this place will be packed and it will take them a long time to serve your order. I came here at 7pm and regretted it - I waited for around 30 minutes before my food came!

-

Jl. Tegalsari 25
Surabaya, Indonesia 60262
+6231-5312210
IG: tuabaru
Opening hours: 11am - 10pm (Mon - Fri & Sun) // 11am - 11pm (Sat)

Comments

Popular Posts