One-Day Batam Trip

Last Saturday, my friends and I had a short weekend getaway to Batam. It was our second trip overseas (actually overseas for him only haha) and our first visit to Batam (I take back my words, my last transit to Batam before going on cruise was not counted). This trip was totally impromptu. We booked the ferry ticket online 3 days before the D-day. We booked Batam Fast return ferry ticket which costs $48.

As our ferry was scheduled at 9.30am, we met at Dhoby Ghaut MRT at 7am. I needed to wake up at 6am! It was also my first time traveling on early morning MRT, although it was not the first train. There were quite many people already, making it less creepy. We reached HarbourFront Ferry Terminal at 7.30 and collected our boarding pass using e-station which was more efficient and time-saving. As expected, the ferry terminal was crowded with people going to Batam. With the time left before our ferry departure, we had breakfast at a food court downstairs.

There were not many selections in the morning. I got fried rice with balado egg ($4) from Nasi Padang stall plus a glass of $2 iced milk tea. Did not know the fried rice was spicy already! Hurt my tummy in the morning! My friend offered me his prawn noodle, but I did not like it.


The ferry departed at exactly 9.30am. It took approximately 1 hour from SG to Batam Centre (there are 4 ferry terminals in Batam: Batam Centre, Sekupang, Harbour Bay and Nongsapura). The immigration and the ferry ride were quite smooth. It took 1 hour to reach Batam, and I used my time onboard to catch some rest hehe. But before that, let us take a selfie!

Mega Mall was our first destination (and later turned out to be our only destination in Batam haha). We had massage at Eska Spa. 1.5-hour aromatherapy body massage cost us IDR220,000 ($22). The price is standard for Indonesians, but for Singaporeans it is freaking cheap! No wonder all customers there were Singaporeans. I felt so fresh after the massage, 1.5 hours passed quickly! The masseuse did a pretty good job so of course I had to tip her.

Next, we watched Avengers: Age of Ultron at Mega XXI. Unfortunately there is no Premiere Hall here. Oh, have I told you that the movie ticket in Indonesia is much cheaper than Singapore? It only costs IDR40,000 ($4) on Saturday! We also bought green tea frappe and medium-sized salty popcorn for snacks.

We wanted to eat seafood at De Sampan after movie. We tried to hail a cab, but fyi most cabs here do not run by meters. They gave us ridiculous fare of IDR60,000 ($6) for less than 10-min ride! Damn expensive for Indonesian standard (btw I had checked the place on the maps and it was still in Batam Centre area. Not too far from Mega Mall, but we could not walk there either)! We tried to bargain at IDR35,000 ($3.50) but he rejected. Plus he said the place only opened at night, blah. He recommended us Golden Prawn, but I knew it was a tourist trap. I have read reviews that seafood there was mediocre. End of our story: we only ate D'Cost Seafood at Mega Mall (which we had eaten before in Surabaya hais).

View from D'Cost restaurant

So we continued roaming around the mall and did some shopping. I found a factory outlet and bought a Superdry T-shirt which cost only IDR140,000! What a bargain! Beside Superdry, there are another brands like Fred Perry, Armani, etc. After that I bought an original small-sized kue lapis (layer cake) from Lamoist at IDR100,000 ($10) coz going to Batam is not complete without buying kue lapis. Lastly, I bought some snacks and noodle cups at Hypermart (I bought teh botol, Popmie, mie goreng, Yupi candy and matcha candy).

Stopped by J.Co and bought couple-sized J.Cool yogurt with grape and choco caviar toppings. It costs only IDR27,000 ($2.70).



We were back in Singapore at 6pm (Batam time). Such a quick trip isn't it haha. Due to the high tide at night, the ferry right was bumpier than the first one, therefore I slept to prevent seasick lol. We reached Singapore at 9pm, super tired! Hopefully we can go back to Batam to eat (proper and real) seafood and stay overnight there.

Now let's break down my expenses for a 1-day trip:
- Ferry by Batam Fast (return ticket): $48
- Breakfast at HarbourFront Centre: $6
- Body massage + tip: $24.50
- Movie ticket + snacks: $18
- Lunch (split bill): $9
- Superdry T-shirt: $14
- Layer cake: $10
- J.Cool yogurt: $2.70
- Snacks from Hypermart: $8
Total : $140.20
Cheap or not? You answer yourself...

Comments

Popular Posts