Tiong Bahru Bakery, Singapore

Tiong Bahru Bakery is a senior player in the Singapore food scene, but this is only my first try (where have I been in 3 years of my stay in SG?). When you hear the name, you may think it is a local bakery, but in fact it is established by Gontran Cherrier, a French baker. Its first outlet is situated in the charming neighborhood of Tiong Bahru. It is reachable within walking distance from Tiong Bahru MRT and the popular Tiong Bahru Market.


The place was packed when I went there on a Saturday morning. A staff opened the door and assigned a table for me (I was lucky to immediately get a seat despite the place being full house). I then proceeded to the counter to choose from a wide variety of freshly-baked premium quality breads and pastries.

This artisan bakery also serves coffee by Common Man Coffee Roasters. I know that CMCR is a well-known coffee roaster in SG, so there is no way I could skip the coffee here.

Flat White - $5.20
A cup of flat white is priced at $5.20, which I think is quite pricey. After all, CMCR is one of the best coffees around, hence the price point. Anyway, the coffee had a medium body and nice aroma, but overall it did not leave a lasting impression on me.

Kouign Amann - $4.50
There were a lot of pastries to choose from, but it did not take long for me to make a decision as I purposely came for their Kouign Amann. It is like the round version of croissant with folded layers of butter and caramelized sugar glaze. The texture was flaky and crispy. The inside tasted buttery but I also felt like consuming a mass load of sugar haha. I would highly recommend it for the sweet tooth.

Overall, I enjoyed my breakfast at Tiong Bahru Bakery while 'Paris in the Rain' song by Lauv was playing in the background. Couldn't ask for a more serene morning. The coffee and pastry were good but not very remarkable. You might want to be prepared to wait a while for a table if you come with friends during busy hours. They also have another outlet in Raffles City if you want a more town-ish location, but I would suggest you to visit the Tiong Bahru one for better ambiance. Prices are indeed a little steep but if you know which items to spend your money on, it will be worth the price paid.

-

56 Eng Hoon Street, #01-70
Singapore 160056
+65-62203430
Opening hours: 8am - 8pm

Comments

Popular Posts