Meeting Lang Leav + Pancake Boss + (workingtitle), Singapore

My friend and I were walking around Bugis Junction when I spotted a sign in front of Kinokuniya Bookstore saying that Lang Leav would be coming down that day to promote her latest book, Memories. Yay! Lang Leav is one of my favorite poets with unnerving ability to see inside the hearts and minds of her readers. I can always relate her poems with my life. I then patiently waited for her to come since I really wanted to see her in real life.



Even though I could not take pictures with Lang Leav, I was still glad I could see her in person hehe

Wefie with Christmas decoration in Bugis Junction

From Bugis Junction, we walked to Bugis Cube to eat martabak manis. Good news to my fellow Indonesian residing in Singapore, now you know where to go to fulfill your martabak manis crave. Please welcome Pancake Boss! Pancake Boss is a place that specializes in martabak manis and I tell you, they not only serve 'standard' martabak with chocolate or cheese flavor, but also the trending ones like charcoal, red velvet and even pizza (8-flavor martabak).


The martabak is served inside a box. Paper plate and plastic utensils are provided for dine-in customers.

Green Joker - $13.50
As predicted, I chose something matcha. Upon my first bite, I felt like screaming in excitement because the matcha flavor just burst out in my mouth. The matcha Kit Kat bites gave a nice crunchy sensation that went well with the soft martabak. Topped with grated cheese, this treat is definitely something that bring you a matchagasm (oops do I sound too much here?). One round of martabak can feed up to 4 people due to its relatively large size. Sharing is caring!

After all, paying $13.50 for a box of martabak does not sound cheap (I'm saying this in comparison to Indonesian martabak), but I guarantee your money will be well-spent. Although street martabak in Indonesia is still unbeatable, Pancake Boss makes good occasional snack to enjoy once in a while. Yasss, I can now bring my Indo gang for a martabak party here!

-

470 North Bridge Road
Bugis Cube
Singapore 408936
+65-90662912
Opening hours: 12pm - 8pm
Closed on Mon



-

More and more cafes have been sprouting up in Kampong Glam area lately. One of them is (workingtitle), a cafe along Arab Street that I made an impromptu visit to. It is located on the ground floor of Shophouse Hostel. The cafe looks hipster with an eclectic mix of chairs, rather dim lighting and a small open space with aircon inside. Wait, open space with aircon? Go there and see yourself lol.

The wi-fi password came on a disc. How retro!

Free plain water

Chocolate Bananarama - $8
This milkshake ain't very cheap, but it was refreshing with bold chocolate and banana flavors.

Fish of Fury - $18
Burgers are (workingtitle) specialty menus. They have many kinds of burger with various types of patty made of beef, chicken, fish and tofu. No pork coz it is a halal eatery. My fish burger itself consisted of cod fillet patty, mesclun, cheddar cheese, tartar sauce between toasted wholemeal buns and served with a side of fries. The fish patty was a tad too salty for my liking though. The best part of this dish was the fries, which was crispy and savory.

Beef Baconator - $18.90
My friend ordered this burger consisting of beef patty, beef bacon, Monterey Jack cheese, caramelized onions, Romaine lettuce, tomato and garlic aioli. This was a pretty a decent beef burger, although I think the beef patty could have been a little juicier.

Overall, (workingtitle) is a nice hipster cafe to visit if you are in the vicinity. While the food was not very impressive, the fairly affordable price makes it worth another visit.


Fun quiz: how many trash bins you spot in this pic?

-

48 Arab Street
Singapore 199745
+65-82482841
Opening hours: 11am - 10pm (Mon - Thu) // 11am - 11pm (Fri) // 10am - 11pm (Sat - Sun)


Comments

Popular Posts