Afternoon Tea at Hotel Majapahit, Surabaya

Hello my dearest readers! Recently I had a chance to visit the historical yet luxurious Hotel Majapahit Surabaya. Believe it or not, it was only my second visit to that hotel in my entire life. I always thought it is a very atas hotel with expensive restaurants, until one day, my cousin brought me here for an afternoon tea session. Before I write more about my afternoon tea experience, I will take you into a pictorial tour of the lavish Hotel Majapahit.

Just a brief history, Hotel Majapahit originally opened in Surabaya in 1910 by Lucas Martin Sarkies. This guy is the son of Martin, one of the Sarkies Brothers that owned Raffles Hotel Singapore. One of the most iconic incidents to fight for Indonesia's independence occurred at Hotel Majapahit, which was named Hotel Yamato back then. This incident is none other than when the Indonesian youth revolutionaries tore the blue portion of the Dutch flag flown above the hotel to change it to the red-and-white Indonesian flag.

The nostalgic-looking veranda in front of Balai Adika

The staircase to level 2. Imagine staring at the mirror at night - doubt I would dare enough to do it!

The hallway looks so artistic to take pics at



You can see the flagpole where the flag-tearing incident occured


I love how Surabaya in the past and present beautifully blend in this pic <3


Beautiful garden in the middle of the hotel, which reminds me of Raffles Hotel Singapore

The Lobby Lounge in its unique art deco style offers a wide selection of specially-concocted cocktails and exotic teas. The afternoon tea session actually starts at 2pm, but the staff catered to our request to have it at 12pm since we came too early. That was so kind of her!

Tropical Smooth - IDR55,000
This drink was bought ala carte and it was not included in the set. I forget the concoction (it was not bubble gum for sure), but it was sweet and refreshing.

Semarang Set - IDR125,000
There are several sets to choose from, whereby each set is named after cities in Indonesia and places in Surabaya like Semarang, Tanjung Perak and Ampel. We opted for this Semarang Set, which consisted of tea or coffee, vegetable sandwiches, beef ham quiches and cheese brownies stacked in tiers.

Funny how I substituted tea with coffee for my afternoon tea session haha. The hot latte that I got possessed medium body with a hint of robustness. It was pretty enjoyable.

It had been a while since I had my last quiche. The one here was so tiny and thin - it was one small round of quiche cut into 4 slices. Well, at least I could finally eat quiche again lol.


The finger veggie sandwiches contained zucchinis, cucumbers, tomatoes and lettuce inside. It tasted alright. Since I was not very fond of zucchini and cucumber, I had to eat the sandwich with tomato sauce to cover up the taste from those two ingredients.

The brownies were moist, chewy and good in quality. The cheese on top was firm and a tad tough but in general this sweet treat was decent.

We changed our attire to 'batik' after our photo session haha 

All in all, I had a delightful affair having afternoon tea at Hotel Majapahit. Not many people might know about the afternoon tea here (in other words it is not very popular), but I highly recommend you to try it. A relaxing time with delicious food in between sips of tea or coffee in beautiful garden or elegant lounge is a truly enjoyable experience.

-

Jl. Tunjungan 62
Surabaya, Indonesia 60275
+6231-5454333
IG: hotelmajapahitsby
Opening hours: 8am - 12am

Comments

Popular Posts