Eighteen Chefs, Singapore

Wherever there is Eighteen Chefs, there will be a bunch of teenagers and students. I often patronize their AMK Hub branch (it's the closest one to my house) after school or before movie. The restaurant is also conveniently located next to Cathay Cineplex and arcade. Anyway, Eighteen Chefs is not a new name to Singaporeans. This restaurant is owned by a former drug addict who he hires ex-convicts and youth-at-risk so that they have opportunities for a better living and a place in the society. Good deed, indeed.

Water dispenser is available on the cutlery counter

18C Iced Lemon Tea - $3
It is just typical iced tea with a slice of lemon. I neither like nor dislike it, but I think it is quite reasonably priced at $3.

Soup of the Day - $3.30
Wanting something warm and soupy, I ordered their soup of the day, which was creamy corn soup. However, I was disappointed with this soup because it tasted weird, different from the normal corn soup I had tried before.

Chicken Sausage Cheese Baked Rice with Tangy Tomato Sauce - $7.20 (student meal)
This comes under 'Be Your Own Chef' section. We can make our own combination of cheese baked rice/pasta with over 8 kinds of sauce (such as creamy mango, and Japanese curry) and 12 kinds of main ingredients (such as minced beef, scrambled eggs, prawns, and so on). Different pricing applies according to your main ingredients selection and you can always top-up for additional main ingredients or to get double cheese baked rice/pasta. However, for the $7.20 student meal, the main ingredients are limited to chicken sausage, mushroom, scrambled eggs and baked beans only. The portion was filling, although they were not very generous with the sausage (oh come on, don't expect too much with such price). I like the tangy tomato sauce, it matched well with the cheese. The student meal comes in set with iced lemon tea and ice cream. For merely $7.20, I think it is a really really good deal!

Chicken Sausage Double Cheese Baked Spaghetti with Black Pepper Sauce - $10.70
My friend ordered this and he topped up $2.50 to make it double cheese. Obviously, the portion was too small a big eater like him haha. Although it was double cheese, he said he could not really tell the difference with my normal cheese baked rice.

Heart Attack Fried Rice with 64 Degrees Egg - $8.50
This is Eighteen Chefs' signature dish. Despite the unique name, the fried rice has nothing to shout about. The egg was thick and runny, and the overall taste reminded me of Indomie goreng with dominant flavors of soy sauce and garlic.

Sweet & Sour Chicken - $9.80
Another comfort food of sweet and sour chicken served with rice, veggie and sunny side up. It tasted okay and it was quite filling.

Fresh Mushroom Pasta - $10.80
As my friend did not eat meat, she ordered spaghetti with fresh mushrooms tossed in French bechamel sauce. The appearance was rather plain and unappealing, it did not look like in the menu.

Pancakes Set A with Ice Cream - $7.60
They also had breakfast menus, and I managed to try this pancake set which consisted of 3 slices of pancake served with maple syrup and butter. I did not fancy having pancakes on its own, so I topped up $3.80 to get a scoop of ice cream and drink. Unfortunately, this dish made me regret ordering it! The pancake was not fluffy and it was not served warm.

Black Beauty - $6.30
Another failed dessert. The presentation looked better than the waffle, but the taste was as bad. The brownie was not warm at all, and it strangely tasted like charcoal. Again, the ice cream was the lifesaver of this dish. I would think twice before ordering their dessert again in the future.


There is an option to top up $3.30 for a drink and ice cream. But sometimes the staff serve the ice cream to all of us when in fact not everyone orders the combo meal haha. Anyway, the ice cream comes with random flavor. Sometimes we were served chocolate flavor, and there was one time when we were lucky enough to get cookies n cream one. When I saw my ice cream was yellow in color, I straight away guessed it was durian. I extremely hated durian, so I gave it to my friend. But after trying a spoonful he said it was not durian and insisted me to try. I braced myself to try and it didn't smell or taste like durian, but the taste was still weird for me. It was like a mix between jackfruit and mango, if I have to describe.

Frankly speaking, Eighteen Chefs' food is average in terms of quality and taste - in short, it is passable. I will not order their dessert again for sure. Eighteen Chefs stands out more with its cheap student meal, therefore I only visit it when I'm tight in budget or when I'm craving for their baked rice haha. Psst, other than students, senior citizens and NSFs receive special discount too!

-

53 Ang Mo Kio Avenue 3, #04-02
AMK Hub
Singapore 569933
+65-64817625
IG: eighteenchefs
Opening hours: 11am - 10.30pm

Comments

Popular Posts