Steaklab, Surabaya

Hello everyone, wishing you a (belated) merry Christmas and happy new year 2022! Sorry for the lack of post in 2021 since my work had taken too much portion of my time, and bluntly speaking, I thought blogging was sort of time-consuming to do during my spare time (would definitely choose resting anytime hehe). I will try to post more this year kayyy :P 

Anyway, I finally made my way to Steaklab with much anticipation after seeing a bunch of influencers going for its opening event a few months back. It is located in the parking area of Hokky Supermarket MERR, and as the name suggests, Steaklab is famed for its steak. When talking about steakhouse in Surabaya, one will probably refer to Boncafe, Holycow!, Urban Wagyu or Steak Hut, but this underrated gem can just become their new rival.

It was a nice little restaurant with indoor and outdoor sections. Unfortunately, only 2 seats left in outdoor area when my friend and I came on the night of Christmas, so we had no choice but to sit there as we were famished.

Classic Ice Tea - IDR25,000
Need I say more? The serving was quite big btw.

Choco Marshmallow - IDR40,000
There were actually some discrepancies between the staff's description and the actual thing. The staff described the Chocolate Marshmallow drink as 'blended drink' but what I got was diluted iced chocolate drink with ice cubes inside. I would not have ordered that if it was described correctly. Even the big name of Korte (the chocolate brand used for the drink) did not save the whole drink from mediocrity.

Chicken Sous Vide Steak - IDR85,000
The chicken was served with baked Hasselback potato, special greens and Chef Favorite sauce. Not sure what the sauce was made of, but it was dominantly sweet. There was another discrepancy here: the baked Hasselback potato came with no melted cheese outside, opposing what had been told by the staff (I noticed from the pics posted by other reviewers that the potato was drenched with cheese). Anyway, the chicken was easy to cut and was not dry at all.

Prime Beef Ribeye (160gr) - IDR135,000
I decided to pair my beef with creamy mashed potato, blanched vegetables and portobello mushroom sauce (I would prefer fries anytime, but sadly it was unavailable). I was pleased to find the steak impeccably cooked to the doneness I had specified: medium-well. The slab was pretty thick with slightly pinkish core and dark brown surface. The meat was a tad chewy but melted in my mouth. The mushroom sauce was so good that I gulped it down like mushroom soup. It was light on the palate yet sinfully addictive. Meanwhile, the mashed potato tasted heavily buttery, so if you love that kind of taste, you will enjoy it.


Despite the slight disappointment and a little bit of a hit-and-miss with the sides, their steaks were fantastic. I would not say it was the best, but I think it ranks a close second to Urban Wagyu (again, it is my personal preference). The ambiance and value-for-money factor were also good to say the least. Another gripe would be the small size of the table and there was barely enough space for our dishes. Nevertheless, I would think no further and recommend Steaklab to anyone who is craving for steaks in a nice chill-out space.

-

Jl. Dr. Ir. H. Soekarno (MERR) 208
Surabaya, Indonesia 60115
Opening hours: 10am - 9pm (Mon - Fri) // 7am - 10pm (Sat - Sun)

Comments

Popular Posts