Union Deli, Jakarta

Hello readers! I hope it is not too late to wish you a happy new year, though it has been a good 10 days past 1 January. I realized I have been quite inactive in blogging due to lots of things going on. Just so you know, I recently started an online shop which I could say has been consuming most of my free time aside of my full-time office work - so pardon my lack of post here. Anyway, here I am writing my very first post of 2020 about a place I finally managed to go to: UNION DELI JAKARTA!

Located inside Central Department Store in Grand Indonesia, Union Deli focuses on New York-inspired gourmet sandwiches, artisanal breads, freshly baked pastries, as well as cakes and pies. They also serve main course too, though the variety is not that wide. I went here just because of the Instagram hype. I know it is a long time ago hype, but Union Deli still consistently maintains its post-heyday crowd. To be frank, I'm not a person who wants to be among the first ones to try a new place/food - in fact I keep a mindset of 'kapan-kapan aja lah' (lit. 'next time lah') and I tend to wait for my most convenient time and the hype to die down a bit.

Ice Lemon Tea - IDR45,000
The sugar syrup was served separately. I wished the lemon flavor was less strong.

Truffle Fries - IDR40,000
The truffle fries was not up to my expectation since not all fries were dosed in truffle oil. The fries were served piping hot and they were crispy though.

Pork Tagliatelle - IDR95,000
In the menu it was stated that the pasta was creamless. I was clueless what differentiated normal and creamless carbonara haha. Anyway, it was a pretty good dish with rich taste.

Scallop Spaghetti - IDR125,000
It is aglio olio style pasta with scallops. Did not try this but my friend seemed satisfied.

Red Velvet Cake - IDR70,000
If something like '7 Wonders of Food' does exist, Union's red velvet cake can possibly make it into the list. Yes, it is OUT-OF-THIS-WORLD GOOD, not exaggerating. I have tried a spoonful of their red velvet cake before (only a spoonful coz we had to share a slice of cake for 7 people lol), and I got mind-blown by how delicious the cake was. Now that I had the chance to visit Union, I gotta eat the cake properly. Second time mind-blown. The cream cheese was distinct yet light and not sickening - perfectly combined with moist cake topped with crushed caramelized nuts that gave a crunchy touch. Till date, Union's red velvet cake is still the best one I have ever eaten. One slice can feed 2 people after main course, or you can have it all for yourself if you come especially for the cake. Kudos to Chef Karen Carlotta for creating such amazing treat. If only the price tag was not that hefty... *cries* (fyi it used to cost IDR50,000 during their early days; blame it on the inflation haha).


I am not very impressed with Union Deli's food, but I can declare their red velvet cake as the best one in Jakarta, or even the entire nation. You need to get their legendary red velvet cake, for whatever sake! I have no complaint for the service - staffs were courteous and they gave us 3 small plates to share the cake without being asked. I will surely be back here the next time I visit the J-town!

-

Central Department Store (Lobby Shinta)
Grand Indonesia East Mall, G Floor
Jl. MH Thamrin 1
Central Jakarta, Indonesia 10230
+6221-23580476
IG: unionjkt
Opening hours: 10am - 10pm

Comments

Popular Posts