An Unhelpful Guide to Es Kopi Susu in Surabaya

Hello people! Following the unstoppable hype of es kopi susu in Surabaya, I have come up with a list of the brands that I have tried. I call this an unhelpful guide as I have not tried all brands of es kopi susu in Surabaya, therefore it will not be helpful enough for you to decide which one to try lol (meanwhile, I will always keep this post updated). Kopi susu is a good alternative for those who cannot stand the bitterness of contemporary coffee. In the midst of specialty coffee industry competition, the presence of kopi susu is widely accepted by general public considering its relatively cheaper price. Plus, it is reachable through food delivery services like GoFood and GrabFood. No need fancy coffee shop setting, just a simple takeaway kiosk will do.

Kopi Janji Jiwa

Es Kopi Susu - IDR18,000
I personally feel that Kopi Janji Jiwa is the richest and boldest, coffee-wise. It gave a bitter yet rich aftertaste. Perhaps it does not suit everyone's preference, but it is something I always come back to when I desperately need a caffeine boost.

Mikopi

Mikopi Original - IDR15,000
Unlike some other shops that carry the Kopi Susu menu using palm sugar, they use sugar syrup. The original milk coffee is stronger than milk coffee elsewhere, and surprisingly it tastes good.

Pukul Satu Kopi

Kopi Susu PSK - IDR15,000
I got what I expected: sufficiently bold coffee without much acidity but with the right milkiness. Overall, if you are on a hunt of affordable yet good kopi susu, PSK should be a place in mind. There are only 4 kinds of drink (you will not find vanilla latte or chocolate frappe here), but this kind of simplicity shows that they really put care into the coffee itself. I would recommend to just get your coffee-to-go, as seating is not an easy thing here and the store size is not really what you would call spacious.

Jokopi

Es Kopi Susu Blusukan - IDR15,000
Don't be fooled, this kopi susu shop is not owned by the president Jokowi haha. The coffee taste was quite rich and it blended well with the milk. One of the best kopi susu in Surabaya, I could say.

Awal Cerita Kopi

Cerita Es Kopi Susu - IDR10,000
The coffee was too sweet for my liking, but adding more ice cubes would resolve the problem. It was worth getting for just IDR12,000. I would recommend the hot version instead, as the taste is more balanced compared to the cold version.

Skoci Coffee

Dermaga - IDR22,000
The gula aren sugar was thankfully not too sweet. The character of the coffee was still pretty dominant. Perfect for the hot day!

Manna Kopi

Es Kopi Susu Manna - IDR18,000
I did a mistake for ordering the drink without ice (since there was no hot version available and I did not feel like having the ice one). However, I could say Manna had the potential. The coffee was strong enough to my liking and it would be a perfect drink with some ice inside.

Kedai Kopi Kulo

Es Kopi Kulo - IDR15,000
I personally think the price tag of IDR15,000 is cheap considering the use of organic sugar. Unfortunately, the coffee was not freshly-brewed - instead, it was already pre-made, stored in a container and poured upon order. It was quite good although it lacks of wow factor that keeps me coming back.

Kopi Lain Hati

Es Kopi Lain Hati - IDR18,000
I like how there were not too much ice cubes inside so the drink did not feel diluted. It had a decent amount of espresso inside too.

Katuai Kopi

Katuai Signature - IDR18,000
It tasted really nice with well-balanced flavor and it left a good aftertaste. It was not too sugary either - it hit the 'just right' sweetness level.

DnA Coffee

Es Kopi Ramah - IDR13,000
Instead of palm sugar, they use condensed milk as sweetener. The overall drink was pretty smooth and I like that the condensed milk was not excessively used here.

Tumbas Kopi

Es Kopi Pahlawan - IDR15,000
The coffee was over-extracted and the overall drink tasted watery. Tumbas has the biggest serving size among all other brands that I have tried though.

Kopi Kajo

Kopi Susu - IDR14,000
It was not bad but was not memorable either. There was an adequate amount of milk and palm sugar inside. You can also request to have the ice cubes separately if you order via Gojek.

Pesen Kopi

Es Kopi Susu Creamy - IDR12,000
It was obvious that they used condensed milk as the sweetener. The condensed milk was overpowering that I could not enjoy the drink. Perhaps this is what they mean by 'creamy'?

SUB Kopi

Es Kopi Susu - IDR15,000
SUB Kopi claims themselves to have the first 'coffee subscription program' in Indonesia. You can monthly subscribe to their kopi susu for only IDR199,000 (20 cups per month) with no delivery fee. The coffee was quite strong and thick. I like that the palm sugar did not overpower the coffee and milk, so overall the drink was good and I might consider for subscription haha.

Hi! Coffee

Es Kopi Susu - IDR15,000
The caffeine content was light and the aftertaste was good. It is value for money given the serving and quality.

Kopi Kenangan

Es Kopi Kenangan Mantan - IDR18,000
To me, it tasted like brown sugar fresh milk from bubble tea brands haha. It had a considerably strong amount of caffeine and what's good, less-sugar option is available. Yay!

Kopi Yor

Es Kopi Awa - IDR18,000
Its taste was similar to brown sugar fresh milk with extra coffee kick. However, I felt that the coffee was not of good quality as it was not freshly brewed.

Corato Coffee

Es Kopi Susu Semolo - IDR12,000
It was too milky for my preference. Would be better if they add in more amount of coffee.

Diskuupi

Kopi Susu Diskuupi - IDR16,000
It was damn sweet that it would make you thirsty. Remember to order the less sugar version or else you will not be able to appreciate this drink. I ordered this version the other day and it was more enjoyable.

Kopi27

Es Kopi Susu Gula Aren - IDR19,000
The coffee can get too sweet if you stir it up. Actually it had the potential to taste good though. You can also add some toppings like pearl or coffee jelly, if you fancy.

Foresthree

Es Kopi Susu - IDR18,000
I like how the drink stayed balanced despite being watery after the ice had melted. It had a good ratio between coffee, milk and palm sugar.

Kopibini

Kopi Susu Bini - IDR18,000
Make sure you stir the drink well so that the sugar is mixed perfectly with the coffee and milk, otherwise it will not taste good. I quite like this one hehe.

KopiSoe

Es KopiSoe Goela Merah - IDR18,000
The gula merah was rather strong, thus it might not suit you who dislike gula merah. It tasted like cendol in a good way, actually it blended with the coffee quite well, creating an interesting twist of flavor.

CLBK

CLBK (Kopi + Susu + Gula Aren) - IDR18,000
It was not up to my liking. The palm sugar could not blend well with the coffee and milk, even after being stirred for long.

Fore Coffee

Aren Latte - IDR20,000 (regular size)
I love the presentation! The reusable glass looks trendy and there is no straw hole so you will be drinking it directly from the cup. I have ordered this drink several times, and I find out that they are inconsistent with the palm sugar - sometimes it tastes too sugary, sometimes it tastes too bland.

Cold Brew by Izakaya Go

Cold Brew Botanical & Palm Sugar - IDR15,000 each
I think these are not categorized as kopi susu, but anyway I might as well put bottled coffee in this post. Imho the coffee was overly acid and did not blend well with the simple syrup and palm sugar.

Saisho

Premium Brown Sugar Coffee Latte - IDR25,000
Given the rather expensive branding and price, I was somehow disappointed with the coffee. The so called 'premium' brown sugar was not present, and the coffee was way too robust in terms of aftertaste.

Overall, I find this trend very interesting because each brand comes with their own characteristics of kopi susu. After all, it is all about personal preference to decide which brand wins your heart. To me, my top 3 brands are Janji Jiwa, Jokopi, and Pukul Satu Kopi. Sooo, have you had a cup glass of kopi susu today?

Comments

  1. Exactly what I was looking for, I'm kinda overwhelmed by the sheer number of kopi susu brands in Surabaya! Was looking for tasting something new. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha this post covers just a tiny bit. But still, thanks for your compliment - guessed you're a fan of kopi susu as well? Happy hunting! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts