[Outlet Closed] Momoiro Bakes, Jakarta

Around a year ago, the castella cake (pillow cake) craze from Taiwan entered Jakarta. I might be a bit late, but it was only yesterday that I got a chance to try the cake from Momoiro Bakes. Tbh I did not know they sold castella cake nor I had heard of their brand before. I just got attracted by their pinky-looking store in Gambir Train Station and I thought of buying something from my fam before I went back home (who would have ever thought there is such a cute store in a train station). I dunno why the craze did not extend to Surabaya though.

I came at 8.45pm when they no longer baked any more cake, but the staff got me the freshest one that was baked at 7pm. Oh ya, just a brief description: castella cake is made of flour, eggs, sugar, and starch syrup. The mixture of these ingredients result in a jiggly, pillow-like texture (hence it is named pillow cake). If you visit the store earlier, you can see the baking process and smell the alluring aroma of freshly-baked cakes.


The cake was packed in a box made from recyclable carton


Momoiro Pillow Cake - IDR55,000
Being a first-timer, I picked the original flavor. The other flavors Momoiro offers include cheese, pandan, chocolate, kohi (coffee), and pumpkin. I told the staff that the cake would 'travel' for 9 hours to Surabaya, so she packed the cake and its filling separately. I had to cut the cake in the middle and frost it with the filling.

The pink castella cake had an extremely fluffy and moist texture with mild eggy taste. It was so light that it dissolved in my mouth. The sweetness level of the cake and the filling was just right. The custard's creaminess was a bit heavy for my palate. One cake is good to share among 2-4 people. If you do not intend to finish the cake in one day, you are advised to keep it refrigerated for up to 3 days and microwave it prior to consumption, since the cake contains no added preservatives.

Overall, Momoiro's castella cake is a great companion for tea or coffee, but so far there is nothing outstanding that makes me wanting more. At least it sated my curiosity haha. It is really just another fad that can potentially die down; who knows?

-

Stasiun Gambir
Jl. Medan Merdeka Timur 17
Central Jakarta, Indonesia 10110
IG: momoirobakes
Opening hours: 6am - 9.30pm

Comments

Popular Posts