My Prata Finds in Singapore: Flippin' Good Thang

Without intending to offend anyone, I gotta be honest that I am not a fan of Indian food. I do not really fancy its smell or strong spice taste. However, I have one Indian food that I love - PRATA! Prata is a South Indian staple, whereby they stretch, flip and fried the dough to crispiness, then served with curry. It is very uncommon (the closest we can get is canai) to see prata seller in Indonesia, thus eating prata is always something I really look forward to every time I visit Singapore. I did not try a lot of prata places in Singapore, because I tend to stick at one place once I feel their prata is delicious. Sooo, here comes the list of prata places I have tried in Singapore.

The Roti Prata House
This prata place is very accessible from my school (just a short bus ride away). It opens until 2am (4am on weekends), so if you have sudden craving of roti prata at midnight, you know where to go. Do take note that during the times when the crowd traffic is high, the service can be very slow and disorganized (even calling the waiter for service can be a serious issue). Thankfully, when I was there, the service was fine. As I sat down, the waiter came right away to give the menu. It also didn't take long for my order to be served - in around 5 minutes my prata had arrived on my table.

Butter Prata - $2.80
My prata was served warm. It was crispy outside and slightly doughy inside. The filling of butter, egg and cheese was generous. The curry on the side was not too tangy, which I like.

Cheese Egg Prata - $2.50
The egg cheese prata was super yummy. Just imagine egg and cheese are blended together and melt in your mouth. Mmmmph!

Nasi Goreng Merah - $3.50
As I was feeling hungry, I ordered red fried rice aside of pratas. The taste was somewhat bland and it contained no meat (only some diced fried tofu).

Ice Cream Prata - $4
Not your ordinary prata! The Roti Prata House tried to bring prata to the next level by serving it with ice cream. Crispy prata served with vanilla chocolate chips ice cream, topped with dollop of whipped cream, drizzled with strawberry and chocolate syrup - what could you ask for more? You may not see the ice cream in the pic above, since the ice cream is actually rolled inside the prata. Suitable for sweet-sucker like me.

-

246M & 246K Upper Thomson Road
Singapore 574370
+65-64595260
Opening hours: 7am - 2am (Mon - Thu & Sun) // 7am - 4am (Fri - Sat)


-

Casuarina Curry
Besides Prata House, Casuarina Curry is another prata place near my school - it is actually even closer as I can just walk there. Casuarina is said to be one of the better prata places in Singapore.

Nasi Goreng Ikan Bilis - $4.80
The serving was big but all I could taste was just salty flavor. Skip this!

Banana Chocolate Prata - $4.30
I only ordered one sweet prata here as I had already eaten their fried rice. The prata here is the thin and crispy type, so if you like crispy prata this is the place for you. Served with some banana slices and drizzled with chocolate sauce, this prata ended my meal at Casuarina perfectly.

-

138 Casuarina Road
Singapore 579526
+65-64559093
IG: casuarinacurry
Opening hours: 7am - 12am


-

Prata Raya
Prata Raya is located outside AMK Hub next to Burger King. I have been here several times to eat prata as it is located close to my house.

Milo Dinosaur
Although I found myself choking a few times while drinking this Milk Dinosaur, I love how they put a generous heap of Milo powder on the top.

Egg Prata - $2
The egg made the prata fluffier and more filling. It was nice to eat with the curry. The prata was less crispy compared to other prata places but it was chewy.

-

53 Ang Mo Kio Ave 3, #01-38/39
AMK Hub
Singapore 569933
+65-68539673
Opening hours: 10am - 10pm


-

Jalan Kayu Prata Cafe
This is the only prata place I have been to in a shopping mall. Prices here are relatively more expensive given the air-conditioned comfort you get while enjoying your prata.

Egg Prata - $2.30
The prata was okay - not fantastic but not too bad either. The egg was sadly too little (I felt like eating kosong prata). The curry was too salty for me also. I would probably not come back to this place again.

-

101 Thomson Road, #01-12/13
United Square
Singapore 307591
+65-92379005
Opening hours: 9am - 9.30pm



-

Verdict
After trying several prata places, my favorite one goes to The Roti Prata House. The pratas here are inexpensive yet they are of good quality. Both of their savory and sweet pratas do not disappoint and I always return here for supper time with my friends. Highly recommended!

Comments

Popular Posts